Wicklow County Arts Office has announced six new additions to the Wicklow programme.
Celebrating culture, creativity and the arts, Culture Night is an all-island annual event which promotes the rich and varied culture we treasure and seek to nurture.
All activities and events as part of the programme are free of charge.
Wicklow County Arts Office has created a special programme for Baltinglass to mark the launch of Creative Places Baltinglass, an Arts Council initiative which seeks to build upon existing cultural strengths to create a new momentum.
In Fatima Hall, the programme line-up features a ‘Bodhrán Buzz’ family workshop where participants are taught how to hold the bodhran, and the stick, and master the basics of getting the first few beats. This will be followed by a classical recital titled ‘Songs to the Moon’ with harpist Aisling Ennis, soprano Catherine Redding and Robert Barrett.
The evening will be rounded off by trad sensations Kíla showcasing their unique brand of trad fusion. Baltinglass Library will host a range of activities perfect for creative minds including a Felt Making Workshop with Tamzen Lundy and two Painting Workshops with local artist Maura O’Halloran.
Joining the Wicklow programme are Bray Choral Society and Purple House Choir who will provide interactive performances in Bray that are especially designed for newcomers so everyone can come along, join in and have some fun.
Bray Literary Festival will present ‘Reviving Forgotten Women.’ This celebration in music and poetry will take place in Bray Library with performances by poet and songwriter Catherine Ann Cullen and songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Imogen Gunner who will reflect on the women of 100 years ago and their continuing influences on our lives today.
Signal Arts Centre invites people to celebrate the arts through the ages. Beginning at 2pm with workshops, dress up and storytelling for children, the evening programme will feature poetry recitals, classical guitar, and an exhibition of works by Gaby Browett.
Though the Whale Theatre’s ‘Generations of Jazz’ and Culture Night at Killruddery House may be booked out, there’s still plenty in store across Wicklow County including:
- Dunlavin Market Square: performance by Mobile Music Machine, an interactive cookery demo with celebrity chef Catherine Fulvio and local singer and musician Amy Barrett in concert
- Bangers & Crash Duo and Yurodny Ensemble presented by West Wicklow Chamber Music Festival at The Avon
- Celebrating the beauty of St.Mary's Church of Ireland from 7pm to 9pm with special guests MACA, The Millennium Choir, Ger Fitzgerald, and Paul Bradley.
- Bray Sea Front: Performances by Abacus, Susan O'Neill in concert, and extended opening hours for the Blacker Than Any Blindness exhibition by artist Michael Durand presented by Mermaid Arts Centre
- Calary Church: A Night of Music featuring award-winning Wicklow classical musicians
- Rathdrum: Jazz at St. Saviour’s presented by Bray Jazz Festival
- Tinahely Courthouse Arts Centre: Dimensional, a multi-dimensional experience of sound and vision
- Wicklow Libraries: a jam-packed programme of activities and workshops for children and adults at Carnew, Dunlavin, Rathdrum, and Wicklow Town