Archaeology in County Wicklow is set to receive a welcome boost following the recent announcement of over €150,000 in funding for seven Wicklow projects from the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage under the Community Monument Fund 2022.
The successful projects are as follows:
- Arklow Castle repairs - €44,621
- Mullinacuffe Historic Church ruins repairs - €14,954
- Castlekevin, Roundwood conservation plan - €18,682
- Baltinglass Hills Lidar Survey - €29,362
- West Wicklow Medieval church and graveyards: geophysical survey and access improvements - €30,000
- Castlekevin podcast production - €7,748
- Abbey Lane, Arklow: research and interpretation - €7,072
The core objective of the Community Monuments Fund (CMF) is to support the conservation, maintenance, protection and promotion of local monuments and historic sites.
The Community Monument Fund is administered by the Heritage Office of Wicklow County Council and managed by the National Monuments Service. In 2022 applications from Wicklow were submitted by private individuals, academics, the Roundwood & District Historical Society and Wicklow County Council.